The Orientation Week
In the week immediately preceeding the semester an Orientation Week takes place. Organised and led by student tutors, new students are introduced to the study of the subject German Language and Literature and to the particular conditions in Hamburg. SOKRATES students are, of course, especially welcome to take part in the Orientation Week. Details of times and rooms are posted on the noticeboards (the so-called Schwarze Brett) of the Institutes. Students may also ask the student body, the Fachschaft Germanistik, directly - Phil 372 (aka Café Creisch), Tel: +49 (040) 45 47 00.
Special Language Courses: German for SOKRATES Students
The Literary Studies Department is responsible for the German Language courses for SOKRATES students which are offered at various levels of difficulty. The appropriate level is determined by assessments tests carried out by Mr. Delmas in the first week of the semester. Time and place of these tests are posted on the noticeboard of the Literary Studies Department. The International Office of the University also offers information on this issue.
The ECTS Points System
This Credit Points Table is currently valid for SOKRATES students.
How to use the three ECTS-Forms
The ECTS-Forms are essential if successful studies in Hamburg are to be recognised by the student's home university. They should be used as follows:
- immediately at the start of the semester the Learning Agreement should be filled out together with the SOKRATES-Coordinator.
- this document contains the SOKRATES student's curriculum for the semester and should also be signed at the home university.
- any changes to this curriculum which arise should be noted in the form Changes to Original Proposed Study/Learning Agreement.
- at the end of the semester the students should present his/her Certificates of Active Participation (Scheine) to the SOKRATES-Coordinator so that he/she can enter the marks in the form Transcript of Records.
Where to find out what classes are on offer
Classes are announced in a variety of ways:
- titles of all classes for a semester are printed in the University Directory and Catalogue of Courses (Personal- und Vorlesungsverzeichnis) which is published before the start of the semester and which can be purchased in Hamburg bookshops for DM 10.
- the two Institutes produce an Annotated Catalogue of Courses (Kommentiertes Vorlesungsverzeichnis/KVV) which lists all classes together with an extensive commentary by the lecturer concerned. The relevant parts are posted on the noticeboards of both Institutes, often at the end of the preceeding semester. A printed copy can be purchased from the Heine bookshops on the Grindelallee and in the Schlüterstraße for DM 3.50.
- the Annotated Catalogue of Courses for the Germanic Studies Department and the Literary Studies Department are available on-line.