The overall QUEST project is divided into three sub-projects: ”Quality Standards", "Curation Criteria" and "Quality Assurance Measures”. The individual work packages of the sub-projects are divided between the project locations in Hamburg, Berlin, Mannheim and Cologne.
The integrated structure of the QUEST project and the assignment of the task areas to the respective project members are illustrated by an Organigramm.
The Quality Standards sub-project aims to develop basic generic standards for the various relevant resource types and their metadata. These can be formulated both in terms of compliance with technical standards and the structural and formal correctness of the data and in terms of the content and the methodological aspects of data creation. The results of the Quality Standards sub-project will be made available to researchers in the form of guidelines, which will act as an aid to efficient research data management and smooth data transfer.
The Quality Standards sub-project has the following work packages:
- WP 1.1 Data Technology Standards (IDS Mannheim under the direction of Dr. Thomas Schmidt)
- WP 1.2 Quality Standards for Metadata (University of Cologne, under the direction of Prof. Dr. Andreas Witt)
Curation Criteria are operationalizable (or discipline-specific) criteria that allow statements to be made about the potential for subsequent use of resources in certain disciplines. For example, the existence of traces of translation already makes it usable within the framework of certain language typological research projects. The definition of such criteria serves to exploit the post-use potential of research data across disciplinary boundaries. In addition to the subject-specific criteria, curation criteria are also defined for non-scientific (third mission) re-use for cultural and other social purposes.
The Curation Criteria sub-project has the following work packages:
- WP 2.1 Curation Criteria for Language Typology Secondary Use (ZAS, under the direction of PD Dr. Frank Seifart)
- WP 2.2 Curation Criteria for Linguistic Secondary Use of Multilingual Data (UHH, under the direction of Prof. Dr. Beáta Wagner-Nagy)
- AP 2.3 Curation criteria for Multimodal Data (UHH, under the direction of Prof. Dr. Beatá Wagner-Nagy)
- WP 2.4 Curation Criteria for Secondary Use in the "Third Mission" (IDS and ZAS, under the direction of Dr. Thomas Schmidt and Dr. Mandana Seyfeddinipur)
Quality Assurance Measures
The QUEST consortium aims for a broad and multidisciplinary establishment of quality assurance measures. The aim of this sub-project is not to normatively convey previously developed quality standards and curation criteria to specialist communities. Instead we want to ensure that the standards are widely taken up by the interdisciplinary community by implementing a data-technical assessment service which will include a certification system. For selected resource types, an automatic continuous quality control system will be implemented and extensively tested with users.
The Quality Assurance sub-project has the following work packages:
- WP 3.1 Online questionnaire (UHH, under the direction of Prof. Dr. Beáta Wagner-Nagy)
- WP 3.2 Web-based Quality Checks (UHH, under the direction of Prof. Dr. Beáta Wagner-Nagy)
- WP 3.3 Discipline-Specific Reviewing (UHH, under the direction of Prof. Dr. Beáta Wagner-Nagy)