Accreditation of Coursework
There are three academic advisors at the Department of English:
- Prof. Dr. Sandra Dinter (British Literature), sandra.dinter"AT"uni-hamburg.de
- Prof. Dr. Dustin Breitenwischer (American Literature), dustin.breitenwischer"AT"uni-hamburg.de
- Prof. Dr. Robert Fuchs (Linguistics), robert.fuchs"AT"uni-hamburg.de
- Coordination of accreditation of language skills classes: Ingrid Pries, iaa"AT"uni-hamburg.de
As a rule, please do not contact more than one academic advisor with the same request at any given time.
Office hours: See overview of office hours
Students who Have Exceeded the Prescribed Duration of their Studies/Pflichtstudienberatung bei Regelstudienzeitüberschreitung
You will be required to participate in this consultation if you have received a letter form the Campus Centre asking you to do so. The purpose of this consultation is to help you complete your degree as soon as possible. Students have various reasons that might have prevented them from doing so in time and together will we explore ways how some of the issues you might have encountered can be resolved.
You may contact ANY of the three academic advisors to make an appointment. When doing so, please provide information on the following points (i.e. via email before the appointment). Prompt and complete answers will help you complete this process more quickly.
1) Exact name of your degree
2) Matriculation number
3) All English studies classes that you need to complete for your degree (see overview of degree programs); mark those you have and have not completed.
4) Stine printout where you clearly mark the completed classes from point 3.
5) When are you planning to complete the remaining classes?
6) What were the obstacles that prevented you from completing your degree in time? (be specific and honest, keeping mind that the purpose of this consultation is to assist you in completing your degree as soon as possible)
Accreditation of Classes Completed at another University
If you have successfully completed academic classes at another university you may apply for accreditation of these classes, provided that they broadly correspond to the academic program offered in the English Department. Once accredited, these classes do not need to be attended any more the University of Hamburg. Accreditation is only possible once you have been registered as a student at the University of Hamburg.
Such classes may have been completed
(a) during a stay abroad,
(b) before transferring from another German university to the University of Hamburg during their studies,
(c) while studying at another university in Germany or abroad, whether they completed a degree or not
Accreditation of such classes is split by subject area (linguistics, British literature, American literature, language skills). Please contact the respective academic advisor to make an appointment. If you would like to have classes from several subject areas accredited, you need to make several appointments. When doing so, please provide information on the following points (i.e. send this information via email before the appointment). Prompt and complete answers will help you complete this process more quickly.
1) Exact name of your degree in Hamburg
2) Matriculation number
3) Official transcript of records with university seal indicating the classes you would like to have acccredited
4) Name(s) and syllabus/i of class(es) completed at another university, which you would now like to have accredited, number of credit points obtained, specification of exams/term papers etc. completed for these classes
5) What classes in Hamburg you would like to replace with the accredited classes (see overview of degree programs)
6) Fill in the relevant form (see below) and include it in your email
Once the accreditation has been confirmed by the academic advisor in question, please submit the form to the Registrar’s Office/Studienbüro or the Zentrale Prüfungsamt für Lehramtsprüfungen. Formally, the academic advisors make recommendations on the accreditations, which are then confirmed (or, rarely, rejected) by the examination board/Prüfungsausschuss.
Switching between Similar Degrees at the University of Hamburg
Some students intend to switch
a) between similar degrees (e.g. from Lehramt Primar-/Sekundarstufe to Lehramt Gymnasium)
b) or, within the same degree, from an earlier set of regulations (Studienordnung) to a more recent one because they prefer the requirements of the more recent version.
In these cases, no assessment by the academic advisors is required and students should directly contact the registrar’s office/Studienbüro with their request.
Students who have successfully completed the entire course programme of an English degree with the exception of their final thesis (abroad, elsewhere in Germany, or at the University of Hamburg)**may be eligible for blanket accreditation ('Pauschalanerkennung'). In this case, please contact ONE academic advisor and provide them with sufficient documentation showing that the entire course programme has been completed and what courses it comprised.